For all children to: -
- acquire a wide vocabulary and understanding of grammar
- feel confident voicing opinions during discussions and collaborative activities
- be able to make formal presentations, demonstrate to others and participate in debates
Teaching and Learning:
At St Nicholas, Spoken Language is prioritised as it underpins the development of reading and writing.
it is embedded into all areas of our curriculum.
Within classrooms, teachers support spoken language by: -
- encouraging children to reply with developed answers, speak in full sentences and project their voices
- modelling a more sophisticated and subject specific vocabular
- ensuring regular opportunities to debate, justify, explain
- directly teaching key vocabulary
- consistently using 'agree, build upon or challenge' as a tool to debate different views constructively
- presenting Super Speaker awards for confident and clear expression
- the inclusion of Drama strategies as a tool to explore language
- a programme of termly poetry recitals
- the use of 'Talk for Writing' approaches providing children with opportunities to imitate language structures as well as oral re-telling.