At St Nicholas we aim for every child to: -
- develop confidence and competence in French
- be passionate, curious and confident about their own foreign language learning abilities
- enjoy learning another language
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
Teaching and Learning
We teach French in Year 3 - Year 6.
Our language lessons are taught by the class teacher using the French language scheme 'Language Angels'.
French is taught weekly class lessons, through stories, songs, poems and rhymes. The Language Angels scheme follows the objectives of the National Curriculum KS2 languages programme of study.
In lessons, we focus on 5 key language skills: -
In lessons, teachers aim to ensure that pupils of all abilities develop solid foundations in these key language learning skills - properly preparing them for the next stage of their language learning journey.