At St Nicholas we aim for every child to: -
- develop confidence and competence in French
- be passionate, curious and confident about their own foreign language learning abilities
- enjoy learning another language
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
Teaching and Learning
We teach French in Year 3 to Year 6, using the Language Angels scheme of work. Lessons are taught weekly for about 30 to 40 minutes, through stories, songs, poems and rhymes. The Language Angels scheme follows the objectives of the National Curriculum Key Stage 2 languages programme of study.
Lessons focus on 5 key language skills:
Through our lessons, we aim to ensure we offer a relevant, broad, vibrant and ambitious foreign languages curriculum that will inspire and excite our pupils using a wide variety of topics and themes. Previously learned vocabulary and language skills are built on as the pupils move through the school, ensuring progression. All pupils will be expected to achieve their full potential by encouraging high expectations and excellent standards in their foreign language learning - the ultimate aim being that pupils will feel willing and able to continue studying languages beyond Key Stage 2.
The intent is that all pupils will develop a genuine interest and positive curiosity about foreign languages, finding them enjoyable and stimulating. Learning a second language will also offer pupils the opportunity to explore relationships between language and identity, develop a deeper understanding of other cultures and the world around them with a better awareness of self, others and cultural differences. They are working towards becoming life-long language learners.
We encourage pupils to use Language Angels at home, using the link below. The username and password are stnicholas.